Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are women in business holding themselves back?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 27 May 2014, 09:37 AM Agree 0
A new survey has revealed that more than half of Australian businessmen believe women have the same career opportunities as they do, but are failing to make the most of them.
  • Catherine Cahill | 27 May 2014, 11:44 AM Agree 0
    In my experience working with senior executives and managers, they are less inclined to take a "punt" on a woman. That is, if there is a choice between a man and a woman, both of whom do not quite meet the criteria, the man will be given the opportunity.

I have seen this again and again. The women who get promoted truly have to exceed everyone's expectations.

Also, I have seen that many women are less inclined to take a risk on a role that is a stretch for them. So the bias does run both ways.

I am generalising here - this is not the case all the time!
  • Samantha Jepson | 28 May 2014, 12:26 PM Agree 0
    I would rename this article '60% of Australian male businessmen demonstrate unconscious bias'! In my 15 years in HR working with leadership teams, only the really good leaders take the time to understand the career aspirations of all their team members. The rest make assumptions based upon lazy leadership and assumed knowledge. This study just proves that.
Post a reply