HRD forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are penalty rates relics in today’s modern gig economy?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 28 Nov 2016, 11:10 AM Agree 0
There are many implications in altering penalty rates, according to a professor of employment relations
  • Keith | 28 Nov 2016, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    As a retired employer who also worked part time as a uni student many years ago, I would be reluctant to be a young person today. If I had to work twice the no of unsociable hours, miss out on some relaxation time and spend sufficient hours studying, why put yourself under further stress. Its a juggling act already. I am happy to pay penaly rates to cafe's etc to see these young people have a job.
    Have we all forgotten how hard it was being young and trying to make ends meet. Its a cost employers need to pay. Customers and parents have built it into their spending patterns.
    To me its a lot about the bottom line of big business and nothing to do with employment
  • mark smith | 07 Dec 2016, 01:57 PM Agree 0
    I congratulate for this article, as a hospitality member and union member this is refreshing. The penalty rates argument is not an economic argument but a political and ideological argument played out on both sides and you present a logical and balanced argument. The economic reality is that the 21/2 days of the weekend trading (Friday night to Sunday) for most hospitality establishments contribute 50% or more of income. I welcome the AHA push to change the term 'penalty rates' in the award to 'additional remuneration' ( Though it is a political tactic designed for future discussions to degenerate into definitions of words). I welcome the move to reflect the social realities in how wages are calculated. I welcome the Fair Work Commissions flexibility about what penalty rates are and how they are calculated. Most importantly I welcome the opportunity in the future to have my wages adequately reflect economic reality.
Post a reply