Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are offbeat interview questions the way to go?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 14 Sep 2012, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Asking candidates questions such as “How do you get an elephant into a fridge?” in job interviews can, apparently, prove very useful for employers…
  • Ross Clennett | 14 Sep 2012, 12:42 PM Agree 0
    What a load of absolute tosh. How do these 'curveball' questions valid 'lateral thinking'? Is lateral thinking a core competency of the role in question? This is just amateur psycho-babble. Show me the validated research that this approach identifies the best person for the job.

Frankly, it's just lazy interviewing dressed up a 'innovation' or 'creativity'.
  • Pete | 14 Sep 2012, 01:02 PM Agree 0
    I think the point you missed is that this technique could be used to differentiate between two candidates of similar abilities.

It would come down to organisational fit, rather than just ability to do the job, which frankly isn't that important because most people who apply for jobs can generally do that job.
  • Mark | 14 Sep 2012, 01:54 PM Agree 0
    I've asked a few odd questions, just to make it interesting for myself. I asked one person to explain the duel nature of matter. He then started to tell me that matter exhibits both wave and particle like properties. I was impressed and he got the job as a Nurse.
Post a reply