Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are HR professionals qualified to choose the best candidates?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 16 Oct 2014, 08:51 AM Agree 0
The relevance of HR’s role in the recruitment process has been called into question.
  • Pondering | 16 Oct 2014, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    Very interesting, but business needs HR, we provide much more than just being involved in the hiring process
  • Megan | 16 Oct 2014, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    What a ridiculous article. If HR aren't able to ascertain the business needs for the positions they are filling they are in the wrong role. However I must say, This year I have met countless 'HR Managers' who attained the position through nepotism and 'fulfill' the role with no HR education/training. Then wonder why all the people they hire are the wrong fit. My favourite quote from one of these 'professionals' this year was "there is just no talent out there, all people are shit and will just quit for no reason". Any business with talented Human Resource professionals will have the right employees for the right roles and should have a positive and productive work environment.
  • Catherine Cahill | 16 Oct 2014, 12:09 PM Agree 0
    It is absolutely essential that HR seeks out, listens and responds to feedback from their organisation(s). Working out the criteria for recruiting someone should always be done collaboratively with the manager and team who the incumbent will work with.

I often question the "essential skills" Managers provide me as part of their recruitment brief. Too frequently they include the same generalisations such as "excellent interpersonal / communications skill", when this may not be a genuine requirement of the role being recruited.

Experienced recruiters are more than capable of making good judgement calls on the balance between technical skills and interpersonal skills that really matter in a particular role.

(And just quietly, the last quoted comment in this article is simply unhelpful. Any anonymous person could say a similar thing about any occupation or role in any organisation! It provides no facts or detail, and does not allow any of us to understand why the statement is being made).
  • Jane | 16 Oct 2014, 12:23 PM Agree 0
    Megan, maybe that's why the original article went down that route, because there are too many HR "professionals" out there who actually have no training to be in the job in the first place.

• HRQLD | 16 Oct 2014, 01:08 PM Agree 0
    Oh yes, good old Stevens who advocates lying has called into question HR's role? :/ Sounds legitimate.

As I commented on Mark's article directly, perhaps if the company is asking "How do you work well within a team?" it could highlight the pure fact that....'YOU NEED TO WORK WELL IN A TEAM."

Lone ranger, 'geeks' that like to sit on their own may very well be the best for the job....and if so, then I would assume anyone who knows how to recruit will ascertain this. It doesn't negate the fact though, that perhaps that loner, geek will need to interact with 'other people'.

HR definitely have a role to play in recruitment. And I'm not just saying this because I work in HR. If front line Managers were left to their own devices to 'recruit' I'd love to see the 'Unfair' claims roll on in. It's a PARTNERSHIP. Any good HR professional, and I've seen both, WILL know what the ideal candidate looks like and will align with the needs of the direct Manager and company.

Sick of hearing people putting crap on 'HR' practices when they don't get the outcome they want. Perhaps, listen to the questions being asked and judge for yourself if you will be 'happy' in that role, because you might just need to work with people. If you prefer to work in a 'bat cave' on your own, then the job might not be for you.

And while you're at it, if the HR 'professional' is in fact dismal at their role, why would you resort to lying? Would you really want to work in a company that can't get it together at the most crucial function????

Food for thought for thought!
  • Jess | 16 Oct 2014, 06:05 PM Agree 0
    A good HR person knows when they have value to add and also when they should pass the baton.

So who in the organisation was it that hired the incompetent HR people and hasn't performance managed them? Hmm??

I'm all for raising the performance standard of HR practitioners and I share Megan's frustrations about the cronyism that allows the bad examples to perpetuate and tarnish the image of the profession.

For these improvements to be achieved, business leaders need to develop an understanding of what constitutes core HR competency. Some do, many don't and those leaders usually value 'keeping people happy' more highly than competence.

Of course their inability to recruit and manage good HR people is usually only one of their critical deficiencies.

Hopefully the lack of understanding and the ease with which quasi-HR people hang on to jobs is mainly due to the 'youngness' of the profession (HR university qualifications are a relatively new thing) and will improve with time as the mass shifts with the increasing expectations.

We just need to keep persevering with setting and maintaining the appropriate performance standards as much as we can.
Post a reply