Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Are emails the ultimate time waster?

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 19 Jan 2015, 08:02 AM Agree 0
A new study says the average employee receives 1,738 inane emails every year – how many of these email subjects do you recognise?
  • Amanda | 19 Jan 2015, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    The email vs phone comparison is an interesting one - I tend to use email in place of a phone call for things that are less urgent; I expect people to respond in their own time rather than demanding an answer right on the spot. I find more often than not a phone call results in a follow up email anyway so you're sometimes doubling up.
  • Steve | 19 Jan 2015, 03:35 PM Agree 0
    Whilst I agree with the vast majority of the pointless emails listed, as an HR professional I'm sad to see "Introducing new starters" and "Congratulatory emails about 'a job well done'" included there. These are subjects for which email is ideal as a broadcast communication tool. Regarding the rest, I always try to apply the axiom "talk first, email later" in my HR work.
  • Rex | 20 Jan 2015, 11:29 AM Agree 0
    But isn't a group email a far more efficient method of communicating that the toilet is blocked and asking whose photocopying is left at the photocopier? I don't see these as pointless.

Another factor not mentioned, is that an email is a permanent and written record - often necessary for legal or HR reasons.
  • Karen | 20 Jan 2015, 04:17 PM Agree 0
    I too am disappointed to see 'New Starter emails' and 'Job well done' emails listed as "most pointless emails ever".
    I have heard numerous complaints over the years about not knowing who the new person is walking around the office and poor communication in the workplace. I've also heard countless gripes about not being thanked/appreciated/recognised.

Sometimes group emails about issues that may affect the whole office are far more efficient and communicative than walking around talking to individuals. At least you can read the email when you want to rather than being interrupted by someone standing at your desk.

Honestly, people will complain about anything and those people will be the first to complain when they walk into a putrid blocked toilet that they didn't know about or when they can't find their missing iphone that they misplaced.
Post a reply