Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

'Anti-dobbing' cultures adding to workplace bullying & harassment claims

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 29 Apr 2010, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Australia's ingrained 'anti-dobbing' culture may be hindering efforts to stamp out workplace bullying and harassment, which remains a serious issue for Australian businesses

• Bernie Althofer | 30 Apr 2010, 11:59 AM Agree 0
    I suspect that changes that are being created through the harmonisation of OHS laws across Australia will force officers to have a greater understanding of what they have to do to meet their obligations. Bringing about culture change in the areas of health and safety, including all forms of harassment and bullying requires strong commitment to leadership and culture. People need to be encouraged to report all forms of counterproductive behaviour without fear of victimisation or intimidation.
  • P V Isaac | 30 Apr 2010, 01:25 PM Agree 0
    The bully knows that he/she can get away with it because his or her boss is a mate/buddy.

HR is a toothless tiger. Instead of looking at things objectively, HR mostly take sides with the bully.
    In my opinion incompetent HR is indirectly responsible for most workplace bullying in mid-large organisations.
  • Anonymous | 30 Apr 2010, 01:49 PM Agree 0
    Hard to know where to turn when the verbally violent and aggressive bully is the Head of HR. Report at your peril -some did and were then singled out for more bullying, not only by the original perpetrator but also her HR team, who chose to support the bully rather than her targets, despite an overwhelming number of complaints, and negative enagagement scores in the staff survey.
Post a reply