Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

ABS doubles women bosses thanks to blind recruitment

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 06 Jun 2016, 10:27 AM Agree 0
The public services organisation is on the path to gender diversity at senior levels thanks to several initiatives.
  • Rory | 06 Jun 2016, 11:52 AM Agree 0
    I commend the initiative that the ABS has taken - its a great way to remove potential unconscious bias. However, as a male manager, I find it really offensive that the article writer makes this statement:

" You might find that the woman you thought was desperate to get home and look after her kid is actually up for a bit more of a challenge, so you should ask and don't make assumptions."

.... is actually up for a bit more of a challenge - I'd dare say that the author of this comment has no children. I see the executive level female employees in my team who are mothers - make sacrifices and are challenged daily. Doing your job well and "getting home to look after the kids" as well is extremely challenging. The HC Online statement undermines women who are mothers, who certainly take up the challenge of leadership in the workplace and are even more courageous because they're also brilliant mothers.

I wasn't the only one offended by the implication this statement made.
  • JJJ | 10 Jun 2016, 01:01 PM Agree 0
    It was a quote by the ABS COO mate. Not the 'article writer'. Best read things properly.
Post a reply