Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

Abetz to undo Shorten’s work

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 20 Nov 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
Minister for Employment Eric Abetz is set to dismantle some of the work done by Bill Shorten earlier this year, focused on stripping unions of power.
  • RivercityIR | 20 Nov 2013, 01:12 PM Agree 0
    I still find it amusing that employers keep going to employer associations for IR advice. Having them meet in a lunchroom is exactly what you want. That way you know where they are at all times!!...Truly boggles the mind that employers can't see that these associations are no better than the unions themselves. Purely looking at figures on paper with no real focus on working to actually benefit the members who pay their wages.
  • kevin | 20 Nov 2013, 05:09 PM Agree 0
    you must spend a lot of time under water at Rivercity because if you had experience with militant union officials and your own employees who simply want to enjoy their own amenities rather than be monstered by some over officious union official you would not make the comments you have.
  • RivercityIR | 20 Nov 2013, 05:35 PM Agree 0
    Clearly kevin you are perfectly ok with union officials walking around your business taking things off desks, printers, disrupting staff working and exposing an outside individual to sensitive company information. Put them in the corner of the lunch room, give them explicit instructions on there conduct and then ensure they comply. If they don't, then eject them from your business and get FWC to assist with orders.....Not rocket science.
  • Anonymous123 | 21 Nov 2013, 08:51 AM Agree 0
    + 1 for Kevin
  • kevin | 21 Nov 2013, 01:21 PM Agree 0
    Hi Rivercity. You must be part union official because you completely miss the point and replace it with your own assumptions. NO we direct them to an appropirate area, preferrably not the staff room. And if you think they just sit in the "corner" you are further removed from reality than I originally thought. Put the degree in the drawer and get out into the real world. The last thing I would be seeking is assistance from the FWC on this and most other penalties associated with union officials because for the FWC a feather is too harsh an implement to deal with their behaviour.
  • RivercityIR | 21 Nov 2013, 01:34 PM Agree 0
    Yes I am part union official Kevin hence my point which you seemed to have missed. If your allowing the official to walk around your business at all you are opening yourself up to all manner of information being removed from the site that could damage your business. If your managers and HR don't have the ability to manage the officials behaviour on site than I can only suggest replacing them with people who can. But power to you and I wish you well in your future interactions with union officials.
  • Terry | 21 Nov 2013, 01:43 PM Agree 0
    @ Rivercity. You are so far from reality it is not funny. Union officials can be directed to which ever room deemed appropriate as long as it is a reasonable location to conduct the meeting (size, its location doesn't make it difficult for workers to attend etc...) usually employers choose a training room if they have one. Your suggestion that by doing this @kevin and other similar managers would let union officials wander around the workplace and collect documents demonstrates how much you don't know...
  • RivercityIR | 21 Nov 2013, 01:56 PM Agree 0
    Thanks very much Terry. Once again completely not the point I was trying to make but once again I wish you luck with future ROE issues.
Post a reply