Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

A warning to do-gooders everywhere

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 15 Mar 2013, 12:00 AM Agree 0
A Welsh tourist and charity worker who wrestled a shark away from children on an Australian beach has learned first-hand of the unfortunate effects of viral media...
  • Bree Vreedenburgh | 15 Mar 2013, 03:14 PM Agree 0
    Fair enough if he was off because he'd done his back, but he was off for stress leave - and his doctor had recommended that he go on holiday - lawsuit coming?? I think so!!
  • Australia - NFP Company also does this | 16 Mar 2013, 07:37 AM Agree 0
    I was off work due to having a skin cancer removed, when I arrived back at work, I was met by HR and General Manager of Corporate Services, who travelled 700klms to ask why I needed 2 weeks off ? As previously, when having a sun cancer removed,I had worked. I had worked for the company for 5 years and had only taken 2 weeks sick leave which was ordered by my Doctor. Internal investigation began and continued and continued until finally I was told that my position was being made redunant !!! This Non For Profit Organisation now if anyone calls in sick, starts an investigation and before you know it, others have been made redundant. I was once told by the CEO that STRESS LEAVE is not allowed by this company and that she didn't care what the Doctor said. Another staff member was going to the Doctor a lot for personal reasons and when the CEO and the General Managers found out, they made it so hard for her that she was also pushed out. But the CEO is allowed to take her Dad on plane rides at the companies expense and runs her partner's and her own private business from her office, has paid wage subsidies to her partner for employing staff. The Australian Government needs to look at workplace bullying and who is paid for wage subsidies, not at all, they just continue to allow these things to happen.
  • Leslie Allan | 16 Mar 2013, 08:50 AM Agree 0
    I'm not sure we have the whole story here. If we have, what was his employer thinking? How does taking a holiday on recommendation from your doctor while on stress leave breach trust?

Leslie Allan
    http://www.businessperform.com
  • Danny Dellaca | 16 Mar 2013, 11:40 AM Agree 0
    I have to agree. He was on stress leave and so he is resting his mind not his arms, legs or anything else physical. Also the medical advice to take himslef some where so he could relax, however I guess some narrow minded manager deduced that the shark incident was stressful and so he displayed he was capable. So little is understood about psychological injury by managers that they take action that is neither fair nor really smart. I'd have to agree, lawsuit in the making.
Post a reply