Human Capital forum is the place for positive industry interaction and welcomes your professional and informed opinion.

3 scenarios where line managers need to man up

Notify me of new replies via email
HC Online | 12 Mar 2014, 11:49 AM Agree 0
As HR execs, do you ever feel frustrated with your line managers? HC gives you advice on how to get your manager to make tough decisions.
  • Gayle F | 12 Mar 2014, 12:59 PM Agree 0
    Sadly, I always feel excited to work with a manager who has the intestinal fortitude to do what needs to be done and works in a professional manner and understands due process. But more often than not, most managers just don't have what it takes to do their job and delegate it to HR because we "look after the people stuff". Those managers need to step up or step out.
  • Catherine Cahill | 12 Mar 2014, 01:03 PM Agree 0
    "Man up"????? Shouldn't HR professionals avoid such sexist statements?
  • Catherine Cahill | 12 Mar 2014, 01:04 PM Agree 0
    "Man up"? Shouldn't HR professionals be able to write without using such a grossly sexist generalisation?
  • Michael | 12 Mar 2014, 02:03 PM Agree 0
    Shouldn't HR Professionals be able to see past perceived "grossly sexist generalisation"s and take it as a figure of speech without malicious intent?
  • Jeannette Kruk | 12 Mar 2014, 02:06 PM Agree 0
    I was going to say I'd be surprised if you didn't cop some flak for use of the term "man up," but see you already have. Not a great choice of words.
  • Bell | 12 Mar 2014, 02:18 PM Agree 0
    Really... is this what society has come to today? We may as well not breathe since everyone takes offence to everything that is said.
  • Jeannette Kruk | 12 Mar 2014, 02:31 PM Agree 0
    No offence taken on my end, it's just that sometimes there are better ways to express things.
  • HC | 12 Mar 2014, 03:48 PM Agree 0
    'Man up' is a horrible concept, in how it effects both men and women. The damage it does to children is especially bad.

'Bite the Bullet' would have been better. Or even 'Do what they know they need to'.
  • Catherine Cahill | 12 Mar 2014, 07:30 PM Agree 0
    Come on - you know why this language is not appropriate. It's no about taking offence, it's the implication of what you are saying.
  • Clara | 12 Mar 2014, 07:46 PM Agree 0
    Offence like many things is in the 'eye of the beholder'..... like the difference between intention and impact - HR professionals are trained or learn to know and understand the difference.
  • Catherine Cahill | 13 Mar 2014, 09:49 AM Agree 0
    As HR professionals we need to understand these concepts better than most - and help our managers and our staff to work in a way that is inclusive
  • Lawrence Polsky | 13 Mar 2014, 11:58 AM Agree 0
    Thank you for your comments. I thought people would be more upset about the idea to "fire them already" rather than the title.
  • Ann-Marie | 13 Mar 2014, 01:11 PM Agree 0
    The article is correct, some line managers don't "Step Up" for many reasons, and the long term negative impact on the business can be massive when short term pain would have solved the issue. That said, sometimes the line managers do get frustrated with the length of time the process of managing someone out of the business can take, the short term pain can really stretch out.
  • KQ | 14 Mar 2014, 05:35 PM Agree 0
    Interesting that the comments all pertain to the title and not the content of the article, sad it has completly detracted from the message.
  • Howard Whitton | 24 Mar 2014, 01:40 PM Agree 0
    Oh dear... 'Man up' is certainly inappropriate (and not just because of the inherent sexism in the phrase). But 'Bite the bullet' is far worse. It stems from military and (convict era) gaol practice, where flogging was administered to a person (not always a man - women and children were flogged too...). The person being flogged was given a bullet - usually a cartridge - to bite on, perhaps to stop them breaking their clenched teeth during the punishment. So 'to bite the bullet' was the signal that the recipient was ready for the flogging to commence. Absolutely the wrong message here!
  • Guy | 26 Mar 2014, 11:06 AM Agree 0
    Thanks Lawrence for your article and insights. I couldn't agree more - much of my time is spent working with managers trying to get them to have the difficult conversation, manage the employee behaviours, and clarify performance expectations.
    In my experience, this is one of the biggest people management concerns that any organisation will struggle with. Our managers are well paid to do a tough job but instead many would rather to be liked, be one of the crew, be popular, and not make waves. It takes courage to be a good manager - thanks again for your article which reminds us of that.
  • Anita | 28 Apr 2014, 01:38 PM Agree 0
    Totally agre with Guy's comments. I still find that it is diffcult for any manager to have that difficult convesation and would rather ignore the situation hoping it would miraculously get better. And we all know that rarely that happens. But as a HR professional I target allot of training into managers and the soft skills that are required to perform that part of their job that is not all that pleasant. It makes for a better workplace overall.
Post a reply